The 40,000th Bentley Flying Spur, licence plate 40 K, rolled off the assembly in Crewe, UK, late last August. To be clear, we’re talking here of the new Flying Spur, the one in production since 2005, not the 1959 to 1965 Bentley S2 and S3 Continental Flying Spurs.
Quick math tells you that’s an average of over 2,500 Flying Spurs a year, over a 15-year period. If that tells you nothing else, it should reinforce the enduring desirability of what is now the de facto flagship of Bentley Motors, considering the recent end of production of the Bentley Mulsanne.
5 Flying Spur Facts to Celebrate 40,000
Considering the milestone represented by Flying Spur 40 K, we thought we’d give you some interesting facts to help you gain more of an appreciation for what is a truly exceptional automobile.
- It Takes 100 Hours to Build a Flying Spur – A dedicated team of over 250 coachbuilders handcrafts each Flying Spur.
- The “Most Successful Luxury Sports Sedan in the World” – First, that’s a claim made by Bentley itself. Still, just the fact that they can say it, and the automotive world doesn’t object, tells you that the Flying Spur is a bit of a legend in its own time. Top Gear says it is “perhaps the most compelling 4-door Bentley since the Arnage”.
- Flying Spur 40 K – 40 K rolled off the line clad in British Racing Green. It is an example of the third generation of the New Flying Spur, which began production in June 2019.
- The Numbers – Every current Flying Spur is powered by a 6.0 L twin-turbo W12 through an eight-speed automatic transmission. With 626 horsepower and 664 lb-ft of torque, it will catapult you to 100 km/h in the mid-3 seconds range. Top speed is, hold on to your seat, 333 km/h!
- There’s a New Flying B – Flying Spur 40 K didn’t have one, but your new Flying Spur can come equipped with a newly designed flying B hood ornament. Made of hand-polished stainless steel, its wings are illuminated and you can deploy or retract it at the push of a button.
If you’re looking for dealer-equivalent Bentley, Jaguar or Land Rover auto repair, look no further than Westminster Motors. We’ll even pick up your Bentley and return it to you with our compliments. To learn more about Bentley, check out our article “What Does an Iconic Luxury Car Manufacturer Do During a Pandemic?”.