Since 1902, Popular Mechanics (PM) has been a respected publication covering mechanical, science and technology topics, including regular automotive features. While many of its articles get fairly technical, sometimes PM just has a little bit of fun.
The 200 mph speed barrier is one that, until relatively recently, only a rare few production cars ever crossed. Fortunately, if you love speed, advances in technology and safety have made it possible for more models to join the club.
Recently, PM published a list of Every New Car that Goes 200 MPH or Faster. Considering we work with British luxury performance cars every day, we here at Westminster Motors were particularly pleased that, out of the 14 cars listed, no other country had more models on the list than Great Britain!
Here are the British cars that made PM’s 200 mph club.
- Jaguar F-Type SVR – Top Speed: 200 mph – While regular F-Types top out at 186 mph, the SVR sports an extra 25hp and a stabilizing rear wing that gets it up to 200 mph.
- Jaguar XE SV Project 8 – Top Speed: 200 mph – Want 200 mph out of a compact sedan? You got it.
- Aston Martin Vanquish S – Top Speed: 201 mph – The company calls the Vanquish “The Ultimate Aston Martin”, and the 580hp ‘S’ puts it in the ultimate speed club.
- Aston Martin Rapide S – Top Speed: 203 mph – Here’s yet another option if you like speed and 4 doors.
- Bentley Continental S – Top Speed: 209 mph – The numbers on the Supersports are impressive across the board. The 6.0 litre, twin-turbocharged W12 power plant develops 700 hp and 750 lbs.ft. of torque to give the Continental S a 0-60 time of 3.4 seconds.
- McLaren 720S – Top Speed: 212 mph – McLaren continues to find new ways to pack its racing heritage into its production cars.
So there you have it. It’s an impressive list, especially if you love British luxury performance cars as much as we do.